Thursday, September 18, 2008

IF WE DESIRE RESPECT FOR THE LAW, WE MUST FIRST MAKE THE LAW RESPECTABLE – Louis D Brandeis.


Human history begins with man's act of disobedience which is at the very same time the beginning of his freedom and development of his reason.
~Erich Fromm, Psychoanalysis and Religion



Each man must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, which course is patriotic and which isn't. You cannot shirk this and be a man. To decide against your conviction is to be an unqualified and excusable traitor, both to yourself and to your country, let men label you as they may.
~Mark Twain



Integrity has no need of rules.
~Albert Camus


Laws are only words written on paper, words that change on society's whim and are interpreted differently daily by politicians, lawyers, judges, and policemen. Anyone who believes that all laws should always be obeyed would have made a fine slave catcher. Anyone who believes that all laws are applied equally, despite race, religion, or economic status, is a fool.
~John J. Miller, And Hope to Die


Disobedience, the rarest and most courageous of the virtues, is seldom distinguished from neglect, the laziest and commonest of the vices.
~George Bernard Shaw, Maxims for Revolutionists


Every actual state is corrupt. Good men must not obey laws too well.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson


We cannot, by total reliance on law, escape the duty to judge right and wrong.... There are good laws and there are occasionally bad laws, and it conforms to the highest traditions of a free society to offer resistance to bad laws, and to disobey them.
~Alexander Bickel


As long as the world shall last there will be wrongs, and if no man objected and no man rebelled, those wrongs would last forever.
~Clarence Darrow


I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
~Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress


Ordinarily, a person leaving a courtroom with a conviction behind him would wear a somber face. But I left with a smile. I knew that I was a convicted criminal, but I was proud of my crime.
~Martin Luther King, Jr., March 22, 1956


If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
~Bishop Desmond Tutu


It is not a man's duty, as a matter of course, to devote himself to the eradication of any, even the most enormous wrong; he may still properly have other concerns to engage him; but it is his duty, at least, to wash his hands of it, and, if he gives it no thought longer, not to give it practically his support. If I devote myself to other pursuits and contemplations, I must first see, at least, that I do not pursue them sitting upon another man's shoulders.
~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobedience


PLEASE GIVE SOME THOUGHT TO THESE IN OUR JOURNEY TOWARDS
A NEW MALAYSIA.

watch Fahmi Reza Sepuluh Tahun Sebulum Merdeka Part 2



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From now on, I'm not Malaysian Chinese anymore. I'm a Melayu. It's time for us to call ourselves Melayu.