Monday, December 24, 2007

A BLEAK CHRISTMAS

Bleak because events over the year has taken away whatever this religious festival was meant to mean.....PEACE ON EARTH TO MEN OF GOODWILL.

So I am not celebrating this year. The Christmas Tree is not up, but innocent children will receive their gifts.....children in my condo.....children wide-eyed exuberant and vibrant, untarnised by the wiles of this poorly disguised and misguided government. My prayer is that they remain untarnished by the oppressive dictates of pigmentation, race and religion....that they grow up, nurtured to be citizens and the future of one race, Malaysians. That will be the sacred responsibility of their parents.

However, I will celebrate my 68th birthday and my 39th wedding anniversary. It is more for the latter that I will celebrate. We hear this expression: "in life we have a lot of crosses to bear". I declare that for 39 years, I was the cross that Karen bore....bravely and always with a smile. I thank her for her tolerance, her unselfish care for me and the kids Patrina and Kevin, the sacrifices she endured to put our two kids thru graduation, the tears she shed to right some wrongs, the tireless energy she put into her silent work for the disadvantaged. For these I am celebrating.

Over this year however, a small group of people have brought some sparkle into my life....my blogging buddies and my former students. I will not name them for fear that I may miss out some. But you guys and gals out there know who you are.....you people who touched my life.

I will not wish anyone a Merry Christmas but I'd rather dedicate this Prayer of St. Francis of Assisito you all. I pray it will guide me and I hope it will guide you in the coming years:

"O Lord, make me an instrument of Thy Peace!
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is discord, harmony;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;

Where there is darkness, light, and
Where there is sorrow, joy.
Oh Divine Master, grant that I may not
so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand; to be loved
as to love; for it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life."


and Sarah McLachlan rendition of this prayer:



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bernard

Happy 68th birthday and 39th anniversary, especially the 39th. You are a good man and an inspiration to us all. My wife and I celebrated our 28th anniversary in Nov and we know how it feels.God bless you and your family with good health and joy always.

cheers
sh tan

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Zorro.. I blogged about you today... go check it out.

You have the Christmas Spirit. Even if you dont celebrate it today.

Happy anniversary too! You have touched my life too, so God bless you and may God grant you many many more glorious years, and may your words and action impact the risen & new generation of Malaysians who are undaunted by the racist government today.

zorro said...

SH, thanks for those sentiments expressed. Gives me hope that there is still hope for this beloved country that our forefathers helped to put together. We may not save the fragile situation but hopefully we can contribute a little bit to the betterment of things that can rescue us. I am essentially an optimist and despite all that is happening I prayerfully believe that we can change things. greetings an all good thins for 2008 to you and your wife and family. God Bless

zorro said...

JOSH, I am moved. You dont come in here often do you. But I am glad you did. You did not give me your URL and couldnt get into your blog. I would love to get a peep. Do that as a Christmas gift, if it is not too troublesome. God Bless You and Yours.

backStreetGluttons said...

I shall be honoured to have a sip with you on your next trip to the Club. Kindly email me tonixe@gmail.com if its not too inconvenient TQ
merry xmas to a young warrior

zorro said...

Team BSG...been looking forward to this. I have emailed you. NPC, 9pm...but be ready for more than a sip......thats what I have been telling Karen....after 39 years she doesnt believe me anymore.Shesssh. I keep telling her that after a sip, the others prevent me from homing....now our excuse is networking......and the old lady is immune to all these nowadays. Cheers...and really looking forward to (1?)sip with you.