Sunday, February 8, 2009

SO LONG, FARWELL YOUNG MARKUS

I regret not knowing Markus intimately. It would have been great and fulfilling at my age to bond more with one so young and so much to offer.I certainly could be a better man if only I spent more time picking his brain. I met Markus at our PJ Vigils and once when Ee Chia brought him fishing after one Sunday vigil. On 4 February James Nakasong texted me about his demise and pointed me to his blog HERE. Visit and you will know what I have missed. However, cancelling a family get-together was one of the best decisions I made this week, so that I could be at his memorial last Friday night.


MARKUS NG CHUNG YAU
Born 6 May 1985
Departed: 4 February 2009


This morning, I visited his blog and this is what I chanced upon. His brother David's message to Markus which I need to share with all:

February 8, 2009

Dearest Markus,


Words just cant express how I feel right now. It’s been 3 days since you’ve gone and a part of me is still in denial. I ask God “why did you have to go so early?” You had so much more to offer.


Papa, mama, Peter and I went through a period of great grief. A sorrow so deep that there was a point where I felt completely shattered and did not know where to start picking up the broken pieces from.



We miss you so dearly.. I think that papa feels that there was so much he wanted to tell you, so much wisdom & knowledge that he wants to impart to you, but did not have the opportunity to do so. I cannot imagine his shock the morning he found you on your bed. Mama misses you, how you never fail to ask her “how was your day?” when she fetches you back from work each evening. Peter is grief-stricken too, he was the last one you emailed just hours before your death.

I will miss all the good times we had together. It’s been my pleasure being a brother to you for the past 23 years. I’ve seen you grown up into a man after God’s heart, growing in wisdom and stature and touching many lives as you go along the way.I remember the times when we were young. Playing together as brothers, having simple fun with one another. I remember the time while we were still in Mentakab, we used to play and pretend as if were travelling in a plane, visiting places all over the world. We would take papa& mama’s travel suitcases, arrange them on the floor as if we were sitting in a plane. I’d become the captain, you and Peter were the passengers. We took out the big atlas book and you’d would point to where you want to go, and I ‘flew’ both of you there
I remember when you first started playing football. I used to teach you tricks and dribbled around you while you were younger. Over the years, you grew more skillful and became a better player than what I am today.

I remember how you first picked up guitar and I taught you a thing or two. Over the years, you grew better, began composing your own songs and became a tutor to many others. Have i told you that your songs sound good? You must have heard that many times already. I love the way you write your lyrics, how you beautifully & truthfully express yourself on your struggles. I am at awe at how you manage to write your lyrics and yet add a nice jazzy tune to it. I remember two weeks ago when you played the guitar for me and sang two songs that you were still halfway through in composing. I guess now, we’ll never be able to hear those songs again.

Over the years, you have grown so much in the Lord. We used to attend different churches ever since we came to PJ. I was comfortable in GA with my friends, but the family moved on to SSGC. I myself am not sure why I did not follow the family, but looking back, I think it gave us time & space to grow and flourish in our own special ways. I had the opportunity to serve and lead in my youth and music team, and you were able to develop and stand up on yourself, not always under the shadows of your elder brother.
We had a memorable wake service. Many of your friends, relatives and even people whom did not know you came. They were all saddened at your lost. We were so blessed to see the crowd, it moved us to tears to see all the people you knew coming to mourn at the service. Some stood up and testified on the footprints you left in their lives.

We really thank God for all the people who came to show their support-

your childhood friends, the people from TGC, your secondary school friends, collegemates, unimates, churchmates, football kakis, the people from ibridge, the PJ vigil, Unicef, the Headstart group and so many more which I cannot even recall.

Their presence, support and testimonies gave us so much encouragement. It really helped us during this time of despair.


We are so proud of you. We are proud to know that your death is not in vain. We are proud to know that you have made a difference in many lives that you came in contact with during your short time here. You were a friendly person, full of humility and also had a vision for a better Malaysia. I could see your love for the country, to see our country united under one banner, under one race called bangsa Malaysia. I hope this dream comes true and I too dare hope for a better future. You know, we sang ‘Negaraku’ at your memorial service. It was so unconventional, but yet I know if you were there, that was what you would have wanted.


We put a few of your favourite things into your coffin. There was your bible in there, your ‘Anak Bangsa Malaysia’ name cards, your favourite shirt, your football and boots. Hey, your comrade at PJ vigil has also left behind the Anak Bangsa Malaysia cap which you wanted very much. Then there were also letters from your Essex unifriends / course mates.


Found 3 guitar picks in your wallet. Peter took one and exchanged it with another of his pick. I took the orange one and replaced it with my orange pick (its still brand new). Keep it for me yah.. I’ll collect it back from you when I meet you in heaven. Till then, keep playing songs for God!


Sigh.. It feels like you have left for a long trip and we are saying goodbye to you.

The difference is that you have already made it to the end of your journey and will never come back here.


You have fought the good fight, finished the race and kept the faith. Cheer us on as we

complete our own race. I remember the lyrics of your song ‘feeling blue’.. You ran and you ran, without knowing where you’d land.. All weary, from that aimless journey, that you began.. Now, it is time for you to rest. No more running, now safe in the arms of our Lord Jesus.


Your departure doesn’t change the fact that God is good. He cares, He loves us, and He is faithful. Dear Lord, grant us the comfort, grace and strength in time of our greatest sorrow. Heal those wounds, help us to pick up all the broken pieces. Make us whole again, renew our joy. Thank you so much for Markus!


I’ll miss you my brother, my football partner, music buddy. Our family misses you dearly. We rest assured knowing that one day, we will all be united again.


Forever.

Lots of love,

David

7 February 2009


+++++


Dear Markus,


Now that you are up there and if you bump into the masked vigiler/photo journalist SYUKREE HUSSAIN who went up there ahead of you on December 17 2008, say HI to him. And I know that you will bump into SHAY.....the story you told me you liked when we met at the Wharf.....say hi to Shay will ya? ADIOS AMIGO, ADIOS COMPADRE.


Uncle Zorro


I DEDICATE MY OLD TIME FAVORITE BY JIM REEVES TO YOU A TOWERING ANAK BANGSA MALAYSIA





14 comments:

Anonymous said...

touching,bro.

truly, touching.


Bangsa Malaysia.

Anonymous said...

hi

Anonymous said...

Reading David's eulogy brought tears to my eyes! I wish to extend our heart-felt condolences to David and his parents and family for this loss.

Rest in Peace, Markus while hold your head high for you had touched so many in our struggle for a better Malaysia!

Bodohland and Team

Samuel Goh Kim Eng said...

DOING YOUR BEST IN LIFE*

It's not how long but how well you live your life
Especially when it's a purpose-driven Christian life
You have run the race and fought the good fight in life
Making you worthy of being a true salt and light in your earthly life

(C) Samuel Goh Kim Eng - 060209
http://MotivationInMotion.blogspot.com
Fri. 6th Feb. 2009.

[*Markus Ng Chung Yau - In Memory]

Ariff Sabri said...

mr bernard khoo,
thank you for sharing with us this very personal, moving and heart wrenching euology by the late markus. and by sharing with us what david says, you once again show us the compasionate side of your personality.
i would like to extend my heartfelt condolences to David and his family. grief over the loss of a loved one transcends ethnic boundaries.
as to mr bernard aka zorro, we may stand on opposite banks of the political divide, but this is the kind of occasion where our diferences are rendered irrelevant.
thanks for sharing with us, Zorro and david.

Anonymous said...

My deepest condolences to Markus's family and to Markus, rest in peace my dearest anak bangsa malaysia.

Anonymous said...

Sad, so sad. Condolences to the family. Rest in peace Markus.

Ariff Sabri said...

sorry for mistake.

eulogy by the late should read for the late...
thousand apologies.

Anonymous said...

R.I.P Markus

Anonymous said...

Quem di diligunt, adolescens moritur

Anonymous said...

Bernard, very touching indeed. Brought tears to my eyes reading David's letter, even though I have no idea who Markus was. I have a son who is 23, just out of university and doing well in his first job, and keeping a healthy lifestyle. I am just so lucky.
Markus' parents must be devastated! But being a catholic, I am sure the Lord will take good care of him. We will pray for him.

Anonymous said...

Markus left a world filled with hatred, envy, racism, bigotry, lies. Markus leaves a legacy of hope, faith and the will to carry on against the odds. Markus has left a cruel world. Markus is now a free man. So long, Markus. And thanks for touching the hearts of everyone, every stranger. We will join you one day, or someday soon. Words cannot describe your loss, but words can describe your love for one nation. So long, farewell, we hate to say goodbye ... farewell .... farewell....

Anonymous said...

God always take away good people. AufWedersein Markus.

Anonymous said...

I met Markus at the Ahmadiyah do the day before he left us. I was indeed honored to have the opportunity to meet him. I will not say goodbye to him for he will always be with me. Till we meet again Markus, have a pleasant journey.

Peace be with you Markus,
Admiral Tojo