Friday, November 27, 2009

MY FRIDAY GUEST BLOGGER: MY FAVORITE PROFESSOR!


The last time I featured Azmi as my guest blogger I was questionedd as to my choice of the pic I used. I always learn from mistakes and I always ask for forgiveness. If you know the number of toes that I have stepped on, according to recognised statistics, I am on 28 years of borrowed time. I would have been one big capital KAPUT. I am contemplating 70 one month from NOW and I am still kicking because when I am wrong, I always admit I am wrong. You never lose when you are honest.

Prof.....I think this is one good pic of you.

People, I first met this TREASURE when Haris asked me to be a panel member when he launched Anak Bangsa Malaysia in 2007.  Panel members included Zaid Ibrahim, Malik Imtiaz, and Azmi Sharom. I was dwarfed, literally and figuratively, believe me. But at the end of the day, I was humbled to be in the panel with these legal luminaries.

OK it is getting late (or early.....3:57am  now....so let me give you my Friday Guest Blogger:

Desperately seeking real unity

Brave New World (The Star)
26 November 2009

______________________________

ON Sunday night I was with a group of chaps and we were jumping, dancing and shouting with joy.
Looking back now, it occurred to me that if someone had photographed us, we would have made wonderful poster boys for unity (albeit highly unattractive poster boys). We were your classic Melayu, Cina, India group (with apologies to my indi­genous fellow citizens).
 

No, I was not taking part in some plastic 1Malaysia campaign. This moment was a genuine one with real feeling. The reason for our unbridled muhibbah celebrations was Tottenham Hotspur’s 9–1 victory over Wigan.
It was an amazing night which started (as it always does with long-suffering Spurs fans) with cautious optimism, building to happiness at what was looking like a solid victory, and culminating in ecstatic disbelief that we were watching a historical game unfold.
 

I suppose the authentic nature of our oneness that night was due to the fact that we shared a common goal and a common endeavour.
 

And that is the key to any true sense of unity – an overarching ideal that transcends petty differences like the colour of your skin, the god/s that you worship and the food that you eat.

SO? Read HERE lah.

12 comments:

I saw said...

Don't bullshit about your anti racism. People can sense your racism beyond your T shirts and blogging. You were a racist during your teaching days.

Anonymous said...

I can relate to the celebration of the Spur fans mentioned above. I remember that feeling many years ago, in a badminton Thomas Cup semifinal between Malaysia and Indonesia. It was those time when Malaysia has hardly ever beaten Indonesia in the game.

After attending a function, my friends and I rushed to Dataran Merdeka to watch the matches which were telecast live on a giant TV screen. It felt like the whole of Malaysia was at Dataran Merdeka, traffic around was virtually at a stand still. Easily several thousand people there (and no riot police and tear gas) Everyone was fixated to the big screen and every time one of the Sidek brothers landed a smash, the whole Dataran Merdeka would roar. When our Malaysian second double took the match point off the Indonesians, Dataran Merdeka erupted with joy, strangers giving high-fives and hugging each other. That night we were not Malays or Chinese or Indians. We were Malaysians!!! .... but those were the days ....

KoSong Cafe said...

With such excellent leaders, I sincerely hope Anak Bangsa Malaysia can catch on with the people.

Samuel Goh Kim Eng said...

UNITY THAT MATTERS

Let real unity come solely from the heart
So that it will not be easily torn apart
When each one of us truly plays our own part
Then we know that this unity will not from us depart

(C) Samuel Goh Kim Eng - 271109
http://MotivationInMotion.blogspot.com
Fri. 27th Nov. 2009.

Anonymous said...

Azmi Sharom without a doubt a true Malaysian and of course one of my favourites also. Nowadays I miss his Thursday coloum at T.Star because I hardly read that paper anymore. Regards to you good people.

Blooming Unicorn said...

Perhaps you might be interested in this.

Anonymous said...

Samuel, Do you actually believe that people like those 4 lines you write and drop all over blog sphere?

You have no idea how people are laughing behind your back and poking fun of u !! hahaha

motherchell said...

We need more Azmi Sharoms in Malaysia. The first time i saw him was at the BAR protest walk to the Palace of Justice.
I was awe inspired to see him speak .
We truly need more souls as him to dismantle the web of deceit enveloping Malaysian justice.
Good wishes to AZMI. He is another Azly Rahman in the making.

zorro said...

Anon620pm....leave Samuel alone but you go busy yourself taking care of your family. When we need your advice, we will announce it in the mainstream media.

Old Fart said...

Sounds like English Premier League brings about greater unity amongst the different races in Malaysia than Biro Tata Negara ever can or for that matter 1 Malaysia ever can. Maybe Malaysia can take a cue from this and make it compulsory for all Malaysians to watch and know everything that there is to know about English Premier League. It can also be a compulsory subject at SRP, SPM and STPM. It can be an entry level examination for our universities. Yes the History and goings on in the English Premier League!! But as for me, I know I will fail this paper surely!!!

Anonymous said...

Azmi, you are another of the rare breed of towering Malaysian. What a gem, God bless u.


angela ooi

peng said...

I have been following Azmi Sharom's column in The Star and I find his writing makes a lot of sense.
It would be a privilege to have him lecture a course - if I am a law student!